Saturday, November 14, 2009

Snapdragon Seed Thieves?

I had dozens of snapdragons last year that grew and bloomed and did beautifully. Some were the rocket, some were the dwarf. When it came time to get the seeds, I found that ALL of my snapdragons that were in the ground (some were in baskets) had been robbed of their seeds by these black beetles with one red stripe on their back. I seen dozens of them mating on my snap dragons, and, as the season progressed, I realized they were actually laying eggs and the baby beatles were eating the seeds! I might have gotten 20 seeds total from 100 plants. However, the dwarf snaps in the baskets were not bothered at all. I used pesticide for beetles, but it only got rid of them for a day or two and then they were back. Does anyone know what these insects are and how I can get rid of them? I have posted this question on gardening sites and no one can help. I live in Indiana, and would like to keep some of my seeds this year!

Snapdragon Seed Thieves?
Hey portiaraylee,





Below is a web site on beetles. You need to be sure you are dealing with a beetle - so check the parts and life cycle to be sure. If you could post a picture, it would help. Different beetles need different control methods. Traps with pheromones work on some, others, just use Ortho Sevin (repeated applications). Sevin is safe too, it is a powder you apply with a duster.





They sound like a real pest.

my rodents

No comments:

Post a Comment