Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Direct sow? And Wisteria Question?

What does it mean when somethings says that you can direct sow certain plants? I read you can do this with snapdragons, alyssum, pansies, phlox, and verbana. I've really been getting into gardening the past few years but I'm a still new to some of the terminology. My assumption is that you can just throw the seeds, and they will grow, but is it really that easy?





Also, on a separate note: I'm thinking of adding a pergola to our back deck, and over the side it is about 4 feet to the ground from the deck floor. I am thinking of having wisteria growing over the pergola, but I have two questions about wisteria: One, does it take several years for it to begin flowering? I'd like to see flowers at least the second year, so if so, any suggestions on other vines? I'm zone 6. And two, will it be possible to plant the wisteria in the ground on the side of the deck and have it reach all the way up to the top of the pergola? Thanks guys.

Direct sow? And Wisteria Question?
as far as direct sow, yes... rake out soil to loosen and seed...





for wisteria look for the variety wisteria macrostachya it bloom in 2 -3 years... and needs partial or full sun to flower... they grow to 40 -45 ft so yes, it will reach the top... in time... try morning glories and moonflowers in the mean time ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment