Monday, May 11, 2009

Snapdragon flower genetics??? More than Incomplete Dominance?

I did a science fair on this with red, white, and pink snapdragons thinking it'd be pretty simple with the whole incomplete dominance (red bred with white makes pink offspring). But then when I colected the seeds with the recorded flower color's parents I got multi-colored flowers (dark pink with white spots etc.) and flowers with red and orange as the offspring. Does anyone know the reason for this or a site that explains this? I know I didn't control the "father" for the first tests, but why would there be orange and yellow and mulit-colored flowers in the first place? I have finished with that project (I tested this for three years trying to figure it out with failure) and am doing a different science project, but I still wonder and would love to have an explanation for it. I know it must be much more than the basic Incomplete Dominance reasonings. Help????

Snapdragon flower genetics??? More than Incomplete Dominance?
Although there could be incomplete dominance at work. The underlying process for a gradient of colors is due to polygenic inheritance or epistatic interaction. Genetic expression is not simply what's written in the DNA but the interaction with genes and the environment. There could also be some linkage of the color genes.
Reply:hi good moring


what is the maens poppy flower


No comments:

Post a Comment